Monday, October 24, 2011

Sweets and Treats

Why do i even look at the daily cartoons?


I hate to be negative, but these daily strips prove time and again that the Family Circus is a shadow of its former self.

 First of all, look at that crappy drawing.  It looks like something from a bootleg dollar store coloring book. I know they never looked realistic, but their heads weren't always amoeba shaped. I'm pretty convinced that Bil Keane in nothing more than a Orville Redenbacherstyle figurehead, with little or nothing to do with the actual creation of the strip .. if he's even still alive!  If his son -- occasional "guest" cartoonist "Billy" -- is actually doing all the work, i don't see why they don't just admit it.

Second of all, this strip takes the "non-joke" -- something the series has already perfected --  to a new level.  "Your tummy could use some cake, Jeffy?  And? That's it?"  I keep re-reading it, thinking I MUST be missing something, but there is nothing. 

(Note that Dolly seems to be looking right at the camera, something I don't think I've ever seen any of the family do.  Billy Keane breaks down the forth wall!)

Compare to this sweets-related cartoon from the early 80s:







(sorry for the blurry phone photo)

This one of my top 5 favorite FC strips. Unlike the cake cartoon, this one makes me smile every time i read it. Look at how tired Billy's eyes are.  Is he diabetic?  But even on the edge of  fainting, he never for a moment forgets how to turn a phrase.

Jeffy could really stand to take a page from Billy's book....but that's kind of always been true.

(Dedicated to Dower of Refuse, lover of sweets)

No comments:

Post a Comment